Grampian Kart Club Facebook

BDOC Round 3 Report

The fourth race meeting of the year was held on Sunday 14th May 2017. This was the third round of the Boyndie Drome Open Challenge. Two other competitions were also included in the race day program. The Gold Cup which is a two-venue competition (Boyndie and Crail in Fife). The second was the inaugural running of the KZ2 Scottish Cup for gearbox drivers. Four further rounds are to be held at Golspie, Castle Kennedy, Crail and Larkhall. Rain was forecast but it stayed dry until the start of the finals when the heavens opened.

Honda Cadets

Light rain was falling at the start of the race but after a couple of laps the heavens opened. Lennon Brandie led away with Tristan Rennie, Logan Davidson, Callum Meldrum, Connor Duncan, Steven Duncan and Darren Guijt in close pursuit. Rennie’s engine got water logged and dropped out. Brandie opened a gap and took the victory. Connor Duncan came through to second on lap six displacing Meldrum. Duncan took second and Meldrum third. Logan Davidson came fourth ahead of Steven Duncan. Rebecca McPhee was next up followed by Guijt and Leon Hastie.

1st - Lennon Brandie (Newmachar)
2nd - Connor Duncan (Laurancekirk)
3rd - Callum Meldrum (Coaltown of Balgonie)

Mini Max/Junior Max

The only Junior Max had a plug problem and did not make the start. Jack Mackay from pole position took a comfortable victory in a final that got spread out. Jonathon Edwards came home second with Ben Burnett third followed by Ben McManus.

1st - Jack Mackay (Golspie)
2nd - Jonathan Edwards (Cornhill)
3rd - Ben Burnett (Oldmeldrum)

Prokart (Hire karts)

In monsoon conditions and on slick tyres the clubs Prokarts entered the fray. Poleman, Chris Walker, led from the lights from Ross Armstrong, Daniel MacRae, Roy Wilson, Brett Cowan and Douglas Miller. Walker gradually opened a gap and went on to take the victory. MacRae grabbed second an lap 3 but Armstrong regain the position a lap later and come home in second position. MacRae took third spot on the podium. Wilson was black flag and had to serve a drive through penalty for driving standards. Fourth was Cowan who lead home Keirron Glen, Rik Christie and Miller.

1st - Chris Walker (Aberlour)
2nd - Ross Armstrong (Hatton)
3rd - Daniel MacRae (Aberchirder)

Senior Max

Graham Clark had a monster start and had a gap at the end of the first lap. He maintained the gap throughout the race and took the chequered flag. Keiran Smart slotted into second from Fraser Skene, Stuart Pollock, David Eason and Gary Bird. Smart and Skene took the remainder podium places. Eason finished fourth with John Gronbach coming through for fifth. Craig Middleton sixth and Steven Thomson was seventh.

1st - Graham Clark (Keith)
2nd - Keiran Smart (Oldmeldrum)
3rd - Fraser Skene (Potterton)

Senior Max 177 class

Jay MacKay led away from Stuart Campbell. In the wet conditions Campbell was keeping Mackay honest. At the end of Boyndie Straight Campbell grabbed the lead but ran wide allowing MacKay back through. Campbell kept the pressure on but Mackay took the victory. Third on the podium was Stewart Thompson who led Derek Morgan over the line.

1st - Jay Mackay (Halkirk)
2nd - Stuart Campbell (Contin)
3rd - Stewart Thomson (Tarves)

KZ2 UK (Gearbox)

The large grid of took off on a drying track. Some had gambled on slick tyres. Ryan Sharp charged away opening a considerable gap in the tricky conditions to take the chequered flag. Ryan Magennis ran second for the majority of the final until the last lap when Adam Barbour squeezed through at Kevin’s Korner. Also through were Jack Gordon and Jack Bailsford leaving the disappointed Magennis in fifth. Scott Beattie was sixth and was followed home by Gary Williams, Greame Gibbs and Colin McIrvine

1st - Ryan Sharp (Aberdeen)
2nd - Adam Barbour (Edinburgh)
3rd - Jack Gordon (Whitecairns)

Club Secretary, Dorothy Wyness, presented trophies for GKC after the meeting.

Next race meeting takes place on Sunday 11th June.

Trophy winners across the classes

News Archive