Grampian Kart Club Facebook

MSA Round 1 Report

MSA round 1

The first round of GKC Championships took place at the Banff circuit on Sunday 12th April. A westerly strong cold wind was keeping the wind turbines turning but kept the rain away.

The feature trophy of the day was the Dickie Bent Cup, which was for the driver who most impressed the marshals.

Honda Cadets (8-13 years)

Logan Mann led at the end of the first lap closely followed by Cameron Ross, Ben McLeod, Ben Burnett and Jonathan Edwards. Ross and McLeod gradually drew away from the others and produced a great race. Every lap they switched positions and the dive down the inside at Pit corner used almost every lap. It was finally resolved with McLeod taking the victory by a tenth of a second. Mann took third four seconds back. Edwards had got ahead of Burnett on lap four but leaders were to far up the road. First of the novices was Callum Welch ahead of Burnett. Next home was Tristan Rennie followed by Craig Blake and Steven Duncan.

1st - Ben MacLeod (Evanton)
2nd - Cameron Ross (Muir of Ord)
3rd - Logan Mann (Aberdeen)
Top novice - Callum Welch (Banchory)

Mini/Junior Max

In a mix grid the two Junior Max karts were at the front and Robbie Souter led from Abigail Ross. Ross was tucked in to get the slipstream and it was on lap four she took the lead in the fifteen lap final. She was not to be headed and took the victory by 2.8 seconds.

Meanwhile in the Mini Max class Abbie Munro took the early lead from Craig Mann with Logan Blake in third. This order was maintained through out the final with Munro taking the victory. Fourth place was a race long battle between Aiden Welch and novice Ewan Johnston. These two swapped positions numerous times with Welch taking the position at the chequered flag.

Mini Max (11-15 years)

1st - Abbie Munro (Bonar Bridge)
2nd - Craig Mann (Aberdeen)
3rd - Logan Blake (Oldmeldrum)
Top novice - Ewan Johnston (Newmacher)

Junior Max (13-17 years)

1st - Abigail Ross (Muir of Ord)
2nd - Robbie Souter (Dyce)

Senior Max (16+ years)

Before the start Jack Simpson's kart failed to fire up but a quick blow on the fuel pipe to fuel the carb and the engine sprung into life. Simpson was able to catch the pack to take his second place on the grid. Pole-man Elliot McIntosh had a poor start and was in third as they completed the first lap with Simpson leading and David Eason second. McIntosh soon moved up to second on the second tour of the circuit. A dramatic moment occurred to Liam Ross as he accelerated out loop his rear axle broke resulting his rear left wheel hitting the barrier and his three wheeled wagon grinding to a halt at the opposite side of the track. Meanwhile McIntosh was closing in on Simpson and made his move at Pit corner on the seventh lap. McIntosh pulled away to take the victory by 2.7 seconds ahead of Simpson. Eason was kept on his toes race long from Keiran Smart but held on to take the final step on the podium. Fifth was Robert Main ahead of Stephen Leckie.

1st - Elliot McIntosh (Whitecairns)
2nd - Jack Simpson (Fraserburgh)
3rd - David Eason (Turriff)

KZ1 (Gearbox)

David Logan led away small field of gearbox drivers from Paul Dalgarno and Neil Anderson. Dalgarno closed in on Logan mid-race but Logan stepped on the gas to take his first gearbox victory. Dalgarno came second followed by Anderson.

1st - David Logan (Aberdeen)
2nd - Paul Dalgarno (Old Rayne)
3rd - Neil Anderson (Insch)

Dickie Bent Cup presented to Abigail Ross (Muir of Ord) by Liz Bent

MSA round 1 trophy winners

MSA Round 1 Trophy Winners

Liz Bent presented trophies in clubhouse after the meeting.

Championship standing can be found here

Full race results available at MyLaps

Photos from the meeting taken by Alan Wyness can be found on the facebook page here

Next race meeting takes place on Sunday 10th May.